One excerpt I liked from this article, by Gordo Byrn:
The Five Steps that directly impact performance:
- The degree of internal/external harmony in your motivation and capacity to execute;
- Creating a habit of daily action towards your goal;
- Get the weight off and/or enhance recovery through nutrition;
- Create the capacity to perform more work; and
- The emotional maturity to stay the course and deliver results.
You'll also see that, for athletics, you probably should tackle those steps in order. Looking at it another way:
- Figure out why and create harmony to execute the how;
- Do something daily;
- Get the weight off;
- Lift your work rate and total work completed; and
- Learn how to deliver in training, then in racing.